ROMANIA – 2017 Quotas Announced
Romania’s work permit quotas for 2017 have been published in the Official Gazette (Part I, no. 85 of 30 January 2017) according to Government Decision no.35/2017.
Work Permit Quotas for 2017
The Government Decision has set a total of 5,500 work authorisations that can be issued in 2017 to foreign nationals on the Romanian labor market. This is the same total as in 2016, but the numbers have been allocated slightly differently. In particular, a new category (intra-company transferees) has been introduced.
- local hires: 3000 (down from 3500 in 2016);
- assignees: 700 (no change);
- intra-company transferees (new category): 700
- highly skilled workers (Blue Cards): 500 (down from 800 in 2016);
- seasonal workers: 400 (up from 200 in 2016);
- trainees: 100 (down from 200 in 2016);
- cross border workers: 100 (no change).
More About Romania’s Work Permit Quotas
Romania’s work permit quotas run from 1 January every year and are decided annually by the government, based on the proposals from the Ministry of Labour. The quotas are set at national level and then subdivided into categories for local hires, assignees, highly skilled workers (Blue Cards) as well as seasonal workers, athletes, cross border workers, internships and volunteers. Once the quotas have been exhausted for a particular category, no more work permit approvals in that category can be given till the following year - unless the Romanian government exceptionally adjusts the quotas.
- Note the new work permit quotas for 2017.